On 08-01-2022 and 23-03-2021, some amendments were issued regarding the Implementation of Turkish nationality law by investment and Turkish citizenship by buying a property. In this blog, we will explain how to become a Turkish citizen, how to get citizenship of Turkey easily, and how to apply for Turkish citizenship.
This aims to prevent the deception of the Turkish nationality law in exchange for buying a property.
Foreigners who own real estate in Turkey worth at least $400,000 and have owned the property for at least three years, will be able to get Turkish citizenship by investment 2022.
And according to the new regulation of conditions for obtaining Turkish citizenship by property, the foreign currency will be sold to the central bank through a local bank and converted into Turkish lira.
Get Turkish Citizenship by property
Rules of Turkish nationality law to become a Turkish citizen by property investment:
- The owner is not entitled to sell the property to a Turkish citizen, and reselling it to another investor of the same nationality. Previously, the property could be sold to a Turkish person and resold to a person of the same nationality, but now it cannot be sold to a person of the same nationality.
- The property can be sold after getting Turkish citizenship by buying a property (after 3 years) to a Turkish person or a foreigner directly, but the new foreign investor cannot obtain Turkish citizenship by property, even if he is a relative, friend or of another nationality. He will not obtain Turkish citizenship by property unless it is sold to a Turkish citizen and then to a foreigner, and the foreigner should have a different nationality than the nationality of the first investor.
- Turkish citizenship by real estate investment will be cancelled if there is any lack or fraud in the identification documents when applying for Turkish citizenship.
- The properties that has been transferred to a Turkish citizen or a company after January 12, 2017, and are subject to the Turkish nationality law of getting Turkish citizenship by investment process, must not have any record in the name of the applicant (investor) who wants to obtain Turkish citizenship by investment process for his wife/husband or child.
- Foreigners can buy a property to get Turkish citizenship by property with an amount of 400 thousand dollars, but they are not entitled to resell the property after getting Turkish citizenship (after 3 years) to the person who sold them the property itself.
Read more: Turkish Passport Power and Benefits 2022
How to Get Turkish Citizenship by Investment 2022?
Millions of people visit Turkey in general and Istanbul in particular every year.
This because Turkey enjoys a natural beauty, cultural values, historical attractions, geographical features and valuable real estate projects.
It is very easy nowadays to get Turkish citizenship and Turkish passport to be able to visit Turkey anytime for any purpose.
But an important question may come to the minds of many, which is how to become a Turkish citizen with the full powers and advantages of Turkish citizenship, and what is the Turkish nationality law?
Lale Real Estate Group with its expert consultants are here to answer all your questions about how to get citizenship of Turkey.
With the new regulation announced on September 18 last year, the Republic of Turkey grants Turkish citizenship for foreign investors for these cases:
- Turkish citizenship by buying a property of $400,000.
- Establish or buy a company with a capital of $500,000.
- Deposit $500,000 in government investment instruments or government banks, but this amount will not be withdrawn for a period of three years.
- The employment of 50 employees is also a criterion to apply for Turkish citizenship.
Many of the regulations were published in the Official Paper No.106 related to Turkish citizenship for foreign investors. Thus, Turkey intended to qualify the Turkish citizenship for foreign investors, and the fixed amount has been reduced to $500,000 instead of $2 million.
How to become a Turkish Citizen?
Foreign investors can get Turkish citizenship by buying a property or real estate investment with the required amount.
Here are a set of Turkish citizenship advantages and benefits for foreign investors:
- Staying on Turkish lands without a proof of residence (the right to own and buy as an original Turkish citizen).
- The possibility to enjoy education service.
- Accessibility to special jobs that only Turkish citizens can get.
- Education and health services.
- The possibility of applying to run for elections.
Turkish Citizenship Advantages and Benefits by Property Investment
Turkey has witnessed a great growth in infrastructure and superstructure projects in all its cities.
This improvement led foreign investors to put Turkey at the top of the list for real estate investment.
Real estate field contributes to the development of industry, trade, agriculture and export products for Turkey.
There are many good expectations about Turkey for the future, starting from technological transformation in various aspects of public life.
This aims to make the institutions of public and private sectors more accessible to provide appropriate services and to secure communication between public and commercial services for all sectors.
Turkey is surrounded by seas on three sides: the Aegean Sea to the west, the Black Sea to the north, and the Mediterranean to the south.
This strategic location facilitates access to about 1.6 billion customers in Europe, Eurasia, the Middle East and North Africa.
Additionally, the strategic plans of the Turkish government create new resources that will make the economy stronger and ensure stability and sustainable development for the long term.
All these Turkish citizenship advantages and benefits encourage foreign investors to get Turkish citizenship by real estate investment, and now we will explain how to get citizenship of Turkey.
Turkish Citizenship Requirements
Many foreigners want to get Turkish citizenship by real estate investment and become Turkish citizens to enjoy the Turkish citizenship advantages and benefits.
Here are some ways of how to get citizenship of Turkey:
1- Fast Turkish Citizenship by buying a property of $400.000
According to the new Turkish nationality law, foreigners can apply and get Turkish citizenship by property in the fastest way without any waiting time by real estate investment.
This requires buying a property of $400.000 and promising to keep it for a period of 3 years.
This leads to obtaining Turkish citizenship by buying a property directly, along with all family members.
Read more: Questions about Turkish citizenship
2- Obtaining Turkish Citizenship by decision of the competent authority
The approval of the competent authority is required for a foreigner to obtain Turkish citizenship by investment with all conditions.
No one can get Turkish nationality by investment if the Turkish authorities and the government do not agree.
Also, getting Turkish citizenship by investment process cannot affect the husband’s citizenship or the custody of the child.
And after the applicant obtains Turkish nationality by investment, the custody of the child can be transferred to the other spouse.
In other cases of not approving, custody is determined according to the decision of the judge where the mother or father live.
If the father and mother get Turkish citizenship by investment process together, the children will automatically be accepted as citizens as well.
Read more: Turkey economy ranking for 2022
3- Restore Citizenship of Turkey
People who lost their Turkish citizenship in any case can re-apply for Turkish citizenship.
And there is a special section for those who lost Turkish citizenship for political and economic reasons.
4- Turkish Citizenship by marriage
The easiest and most popular way to get Turkish nationality is obtaining Turkish citizenship by marriage.
But Turkish citizenship by marriage does not grant you the nationality directly, only after 3 years of marriage, foreigners can apply for Turkish citizenship by marriage under the following conditions:
- They should live together
- Staying away from behaviors that harm the marriage
- The marriage does not pose any threat to national security and public order
5- Obtaining Turkish Citizenship under exceptional circumstances
There are other exceptions for people who can obtain Turkish citizenship by investment process, for example:
- The developing of Turkey in the scientific, technological, economic, social, sports, cultural and artistic factories or fields, and the reasonable proposal will be considered in the ministries’ right.
- Pioneers of democracy and citizenship of Turkey through real estate investment. For example, making commercial investments in Turkey and opening a company with a work permit for entrepreneurs.
- People who are essential to Turkish citizenship requirements- Admitted people as immigrants
Read more: Property tax in Turkey 2022 Full Detail
6- Getting Turkish Citizenship by investment with an amount of $500.000 in the bank
Another way to get Turkish citizenship by investment process is with an amount of $500.000 in the bank, but this amount should not be withdrawn for 3 years.
7- Main conditions for obtaining Turkish Citizenship by investment process
- The applicant must be of the age of majority or can apply through the legal elderly
- Being in Turkey for a period of five years without interruption
The applicant must have proof documents for the purpose of residency in Turkey, which are:
- Owning real estate in Turkey
- Establishing a business in Turkey
- Investing in Turkey
- Moving to Turkey for activities or business
- Working in Turkey with a work permit
- Marrying to a Turkish citizen
- Completing studies in Turkey
- If having a disease that is an obstacle to public health
- Being a reliable person
- Fluency in Turkish language
- Having an income or career to support yourself
- Respecting national security and public order
How to Apply for Turkish Citizenship 2022?
Each of the following papers must be prepared when applying for Turkish citizenship 2022:
- The original passport or other documents proving the nationality of the applicant, or if the applicant is stateless, documents proving the applicant’s statelessness.
- Birth certificate
- Residence permit
- Documents confirming first-time arrival to Turkey (year and date of arrival), the number of times out of Turkey and all times lived in Turkey (stamp in the passport, original residence permit and photocopy).
- In case of marriage, official documents confirming the identity and family of the husband and under-age children must be presented (marriage license, birth certificate for children).
- If there are any relatives in Turkey, a copy of the Turkish identity card and the address in Turkey must be submitted (relatives’ location).
- Income confirmation
- Four recent personal photos
Applying for Citizenship and Evaluation Process for Turkish nationality
1- Foreigners who want to obtain Turkish citizenship by investment on the basis of fixed capital investment in the amount of $500,000.
They must submit a written application to the Ministry of Economy with the following documents:
- The application form signed by the applicant
- Filling the investment information form
- A copy of the identity information pages of the passport
- The commercial registry sheet explains the partnership structure of the legal entity that has made the fixed capital investment, which forms the basis of application and the amount of the investment.
- An approved report by a certified public accountant stating the amount of fixed capital. (the report must contain information regarding fixed capital investments made after the date of publication of the regulations).
- Evidence that the foreign investment with an amount of $500,000 has been transferred to the company’s capital. The relevant foreign depository account receipt in the same report should be provided.
2- Submit the application to the approval of the ministry after the General Directorate for the Implementation of Incentives and Foreign Investment at the Ministry of Economy determines that the application meets the conditions.
Applications that don’t meet Turkish citizenship requirements are rejected by the General Administration for the Application of Incentives and Foreign Investment.
Also, applications that fail to complete the information and documents within one month after the written notification of the applicant. All these cases will be rejected without further notice.”
3- The approved applications by the Ministry are sent to the Ministry of Interior to take the necessary measures by the specialists and the Minister.
Read more: Best residential compounds in Istanbul
Advantages of Turkish Citizenship by Real Estate Investment
Turkish citizenship by real estate investment provides citizens many advantages, including:
- Children (under the age of 18) and the wife of the owner of the property can obtain Turkish citizenship by property.
- Getting Turkish passport where you will have the opportunity to travel to more than 110 countries with a visa-free.
- No need to show your assets to other countries, you just need to buy a property in Turkey.
- You do not have to reside in Turkey, and there is only one condition, which is not to sell the property for the next 3 years, and during this period, you can rent the property and recover the amount you invested, as real estate values
are increasing quickly in Turkey.
- In addition, 26 countries of the European Union will be added to the list of countries that can travel with a visa-free after the agreements within the development of relations between Turkey and the European Union.
- Obtaining Turkish Citizenship by buying a property enables you to get Turkish passport.
How to Get Turkish Nationality by Investment?
In case the foreign investor is a contributor in the company that makes the investment at a certain rate, it is required that the amount which will be obtained by multiplying the rate that corresponds to the individual’s share in the company is investing by the total investment amount is a minimum of $500,000.
When determining the fixed capital amounts, the date on which the regulation is published, January 12, 2017, should be considered.
Thus, fixed capital investments made before this date do not grant the right to apply for Turkish citizenship by investment.
Also, when calculating the fixed capital expenses for applications to be made in the following years, the expenses incurred in the last 3 years as a maximum should be considered.
In case that an additional fixed capital investment is made for an existing investment, the increase in the fixed capital investment amount is considered as of the beginning of the additional investment.
For applicants who are determined by the administration to have submitted faked or misleading documents, the Turkish nationality by investment procedures will be suspended and a notice sent to the Ministry of Interior to withdraw the Turkish citizenship by investment from them.
And the additional applications that must be submitted by people who have submitted false or misleading applications will not be taken into consideration until if it meets the relevant criteria.
How to Get Turkish Passport by Residence?
You can get Turkish Passport by residence for a continuous period of 5 years, with leaving the country for a maximum period of 6 months only, and this is a valuable opportunity according to one of the legal methods.
The qualified foreigners for the Turkish nationality by investment are those who have real estate projects, establish a business, or marry a Turkish citizen.
In addition to people who have completed a university education in Turkey (hold university degrees). Other Turkish citizenship requirements include:
- Medical report with a clean bill of health
- Good Behavior Reports
- Average knowledge of Turkish language
- Prove adequate resources for self-preservation
- Not to pose a threat to national security or the system
- Renunciation of previous citizenship if the country of origin does not accept dual citizenship
- Not to have criminal record or any open administrative reasons, particularly in tax matters
Read more: Best 10 reasons to buy a property in Turkey
Watch this video and get Turkish Citizenship by investment NOW!
Read more: Hotel Apartments for Sale in Istanbul 2022
Frequently Asked Questions About Getting Citizenship of Turkey
How to get Turkish citizenship?
You can get Turkish citizenship by several ways:
1- Investing in real estate and buying a property worth $400,000.
2- Establishing a company with a capital of $500,000.
3- Depositing $500,000 in a government bank.
4- By marriage.
Does Turkey allow dual citizenship?
Yes, Turkish law allows dual citizenship, even if the original country of the foreigner does not oppose dual citizenship.
What are the benefits of Turkish citizenship?
There are many benefits of getting Turkish citizenship, including the full freedom to travel to many visa-free countries or with a visa upon arrival, the rights to vote, work and study like Turkish citizens.
How to apply for Turkish citizenship?
Applying for Turkish citizenship comes after buying a property in Turkey worth $400,000 and then preparing some important documents (Birth certificate, passport, personal photos, valid residence permit, and marital status document)
How to get Turkish citizenship through marriage?
Turkish citizenship through marriage does not grant you the nationality directly, but only after 3 years of marriage, you can apply for Turkish citizenship.
Read more: The best guide for Investment in Turkey 2022
Do you know that you and your family can become Turkish citizens by buying a property? Contact us to help you from the first step!
Do you know that we have more than 300 projects in Istanbul, click here & learn more now!